Friday, August 29, 2014

August 29th, 2014 Road Improvements

August 29th, 2014 Road Improvements

The chili last night created an upset stomach feeling throughout the night and morning. It was easily the most "unclean" thing I've consumed since mid-April. My body noticed the difference immediately. It's interesting to me how I was able to clearly identify the effects of this stuff. It might have been 320 calories a cup and sugar-free, the two mandatory requirements for me, but it was loaded with something isn't right. I will not make the same mistake again. My new policy on chili: It must be homemade, so I know the ingredients. If I can eat it without feeling horrible afterward, then okay! 

It was good to sleep in this morning! Even if I did wake feeling like I had poisoned myself the night before. It took me over three hours to feel like eating anything and by then it was lunch time. I had a business meeting at a restaurant scheduled for noon. I picked the place to meet for what would be my brunch. I picked my favorite little Mexican restaurant, the one that serves Hawaiian fajitas! I also ordered a couple of eggs on the side in order for it to feel more like a breakfast/lunch combination.  I stuffed the eggs down in the taco shells first and topped with the onion/peppers, pineapple, steak, chicken and shrimp. It might sound gross but I loved it!

My new jeans are already getting baggy and in need of an occasional pulling up. It's nice to feel my body getting smaller. I honestly wasn't sure if I would ever experience this again. It is refreshing to feel this way--and it's unique from my previous weight loss success because I'm doing things a little differently. I have stronger accountability tools, a reinforced support system and I'm abstinent from sugar. And a big difference maker this go around: I'm open to change, I'm humble, I'm more grateful and I have the benefit of my previous experience to draw upon along the way. These differences are like road improvements.

I made a fast trip to Stillwater to run an errand, see mom and also take advantage of some 50% off vouchers at one of the best places for steak in my hometown. 50% off!! It was a delicious bargain. The meal came with a salad bar trip to what is widely known as one of the best salad bars in town. I tend to turn into a finicky little kid when facing a salad bar. I don't like things touching on my plate, so naturally I don't like them piled on top of one another either! Oh, and no matter how good the salad bar, I don't like 90% of salad bar items. The only salad bar I've ever loved was one that came complete with a variety of non-salad type foods, like cheese and meats and breads, mac and cheese and cottage cheese. They didn't have any of these things--and honestly, my resolve wouldn't have allowed me to select them even if they were available. I ended up with a small bit of watermelon and several grape tomatoes.

I ordered a plain baked sweet potato for the first time ever. I've enjoyed sweet potatoes as fries and in a stir fry, but never just one big plain sweet potato. I specifically ordered it dry with cinnamon on the side for sprinkling. It was very good! I asked the server how the steak was to be prepared and was told they coat it in oil prior to cooking. Some places brush it with butter. I'm glad I asked! I requested mine be cooked without the oil and it was still one of the better steaks I've had in some time. The chef actually came over to the table to introduce himself. He explained how they're really big into the farm to table movement and how their steaks come straight from a ranch just miles away. He described the aging process and detailed how they cut the steaks fresh to order. This is good intelligence in case I ever get another 50% off deal (seriously, it would need to be a VERY special occasion at regular prices!) This fresh cut practice means I could have requested a smaller portion, instead of the big 8 ounces listed on the menu. I had plenty of room in the budget today for the full 8 ounces, but good to know for times when I don't!

By the time I made it home it was raining the most gentle beautiful rain ever. No lightening, just a nice cool shower. I decided right then and there, I was walking in the rain. I LOVE walking in the rain. I wanted to get wet without a care. I wanted to let the rain run down my face as I briskly walked a determined stride as if I was in some kind of inspirational sports drink commercial. You know, how they sometimes feature wet and sweaty people--and I'm always thinking, do they not have a towel? Sadly, by the time I arrived for my 5K tonight, the rain had stopped pouring. It was a slight sprinkle as I embarked and completely dry throughout except for my perspiration. It felt good to get the 5K done tonight. It felt real good.

Sometimes the choices we make along this road are not simply about benefiting us physically. For instance, the choices I made in the circumstances of last night were purely for my mental/emotional benefit. I understood that I was in a situation that could have easily gone awry quickly. Had I gone off the rails I would have blamed the circumstances and myself for not being prepared. The physical damage would have been minimal, the emotional/mental damage would have been significant. I made the decisions I did last night in an effort to protect my head space. Even though the dinner was horrible, it was still better than the alternatives--and even though the walk last night was short, I felt good about insisting on its completion. Hitting the pillow knowing I did the best I could do in the situation had a monumentally positive effect on how I felt mentally and emotionally. Physically--uhg...that chili--whoa, never again! The biggest parts of this journey are the mental/emotional parts, so it makes sense to protect them like a mommy bear protects her cubs.

Tomorrow night I'll be doing something I'm not sure I could have several months ago, prior to the epiphanies of May 15th and this dramatic turnaround since late April. I'll be standing on a big stage in front of what the promoters hope to be thousands of people, introducing The Little River Band. These guys are one of my favorite bands from Australia. Oh, the hits!! I did this very thing 18 years ago at another radio station--same band, big stage--and a much bigger 500 pound me. My ability to do it back then and now being unsure if I could have done it today without the liberating elements in place--is a psychological study and conversation for another night. I'm looking forward to meeting them again and firing up the audience prior to their performance! It will be a late night again tomorrow. LRB takes the stage at this music festival somewhere around 10:30pm.

My food Tweets today:
















Thank you for reading and for your continued support!
Strength,
Sean

11 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, I'm sorry you got so sick! I had market deli chicken last night for dinner, and same thing happened to me. Since I've mostly given up chicken....this was the first market deli chicken I've had in months and HOLY HELL was I sick last night! I don't know if it's the hormones in the chicken, some preservative, or what, but won't be walking down THAT path again!

    It's funny/weird/cool how our bodies, once they become accustomed to good, REAL, unprocessed foods, violently react when we feed them something else. Lesson learned!

    Congrats on the Little River Band gig. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very interesting how our bodies react! Like, "Hey--what's this stuff? I don't like it!"
      Thank you for the congrats!

      Delete
  2. Celery! I didn't think you ate it...good for you.. I was out of laughing cow but managed to eat some with a little peanut butter and a few raisins.......I just heard a Little River Band song the other day and it brought back memories. I have an Album (actual vinyl) of there's...loved them too...how fun for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pj, I never eat it by itself. I will eat it with spreadable cheese or peanut butter! Oooh...raisins--must buy some. That sounds fantastic!! Great band, LRB-- been around for 39 years!! I was 3 when they first made the music scene! I've loved them since I was a very young kid. Thank you PJ!

      Delete
  3. It's really amazing how delicious plain, real food tastes when you're off the junk! And it is shocked how much junk is in most processed foods. Read the label on a can of grocery store chili. Scary stuff right there! Homemade is always best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lyn, you speak the truth, my friend. Homemade for me from now on!! After that experience--or I should say, after experiencing the "after effects," chili is off my list of go to foods in a pinch.
      The body is incredible smart in recognizing what is good and what isn't. That chili clearly wasn't!

      Delete
  4. Super proud of you for trying the plain baked sweet potato. Happy you liked it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetheart, thank you. I loved it! Plain with a sprinkle of cinnamon--perfect. ;)

      Delete
  5. Sorry that nasty chili did a number on you. Very interesting the difference between the your chili experience and your steak experience!

    Hope you had a good time at the concert! I just got back from one and had a blast. Three hours on ones feet jumping up and down is quite the workout :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous of you getting to introduce and listen to the Little Rive Band. I love these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catching up with your blogs. Not sure I've mention how much I enjoy your food pics, they give me ideas to try myself! Great job as always!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.