Sunday, August 3, 2014

August 3rd, 2014 My Peace Instead of A Piece

August 3rd, 2014 My Peace Instead of A Piece

I slept so well last night. I slept like a baby for over nine hours straight. I woke up today and felt incredible. I must get more of that kind of rest.  Getting up so late--and not eating my first food of the day until after 1pm, really set my calorie management up for a shortfall later. More on that in a moment.

We had a cookout tonight in celebration of my daughter Amber's first day in her brand new career as a special education teacher for Ponca City Public Schools. The kids don't report until the 12th, new teachers start tomorrow morning!
 photo photo22_zps63c8b1c0.jpg
Here's my daughter Courtney, grandson Noah, daughter Amber and Me at the party tonight! Noah was getting pretty tired at this point.

My brunch was so big and filling (see Tweet below), I wasn't the slightest bit hungry until it was time to eat at the cookout. It didn't even occur to me to eat something, say--4 or 5pm, even something small. I was too busy preparing for the cookout to think about eating. After calculating my cookout plate of food, I realized I had an issue. I was still over 600 calories short of my minimum target daily goal of 1700 calories. And that's not even thinking about net calories after exercise! I decided I would get at least two miles in at the trail and then I would eat something to bump up the calories, late. Not the best strategy, for sure--considering the time--but as you'll read in the Tweets below-at least my net calories after exercise was over 1200 for a change! I was still 194 calories shy of my target 1700.

I'm not going to stress or beat myself up for the poor calorie management today. Tomorrow is a big, beautiful new day--and I will manage better. Interesting how "calorie management" means getting enough--when it used to mean trying to not get too much! It's very clear my brain isn't centered around constantly obsessing over food. I eat well at appropriate times. This sugar free discipline has given me a peace and calm I never thought I could experience. There was cake at the party tonight and I wasn't the least bit interested. It wasn't a case of "I can't have any," it was a thank you, but (polite, yet matter-of-fact type tone) "I don't eat cake." It didn't take will power because I didn't want cake. Will power is only summoned when we resist something we truly want. This was a different kind of power--not even a "power," really. For me, I had my peace instead of a piece.

Speaking of cakes...

My Aunt Kelli found some more "Lost Before Pictures:"

 photo 1620942_10154382891205262_7512510379515423609_n_zpse601f4f7.jpg
Apparently there was a time when I couldn't be too far away from a box of those little snack cakes. I have no idea what I'm doing holding a box of Little Debbie Snack Cakes while posing for a picture in a restaurant. (pictured: Amber, my late Grandmother, My brother Shane, Mom and Me.)

 photo 10577119_10154382890800262_770742769728339976_n_zpsbfb53a02.jpg
I have no idea what I'm holding in my hand. It's food of some sort. There's an 80% chance it's a Little Debbie snack cake. ;) (pictured: My mom, Irene, Me)

It was a tough little two miles at the trail tonight. The humidity made it feel like a much harder workout. Two miles felt like much more. My clothes were drenched in workout juice.

My food Tweets and a few others today:










Tomorrow is set to be a monumental day. I'll be doing a spin class followed by a swim in the pool. If this sounds like a normal routine, you're obviously new to this blog. If you are new--welcome!! Dive into the recent archives and you'll understand why me diving into that pool tomorrow will be epic.

Thank you for reading and for your continued incredible support,
Strength,
Sean

17 comments:

  1. I thought your bean/cheese tostadas were really weird fried eggs for a minute. Green yolks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Natalie! A quick glance--I could see that! I'll save the green eggs for St. Patricks Day! :)

      Delete
  2. Great job today, Sean, with both food and exercise. I had the same calorie issue today, due to sleeping in. My daughter suggested maybe averaging out my calories for the week rather than feeling the need to meet a certain goal every single day, since some days we are less hungry than others, or have other issues. I'm thinking about this. It seems like a good idea, even if it means a bit more math. : )

    It was great to see the current photo of you and your beautiful daughters and grandson! You are looking very handsome yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky. A learning and have an idea of a good strategy on days like this. I want to get out of the habit of getting so many calories at later times, especially on days like today when the clock/schedule is shifted. I'm so blessed with my kids and Noah--I love them so much!! Thank you again,

      Delete
  3. Stay strong. Just breathe and believe when if it gets stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave my daughter the same exact advice this morning. Breathe, don't forget to breathe!! I'm doing okay, actually. Feeling good. I'm leaving for the Y in about an hour-- Doing spinning class first--then swimming. Excited-nervous-and ...I need to pee. :) Gotta remember to do that too!

      Delete
  4. Sean, I think you are going to disprove the theory that lightning never strikes the same place twice buddy!! I am so enjoying watching you pull out of the spiral and begin to soar again. I need your go getter attitude man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shane--means so much to me to read your words here. Likewise, my friend--likewise. Reading about where you are in your blog--and knowing where you've been--wow, Shane... It's incredibly inspiring. I must tell you, I feel like my importance level is slightly elevated when I realize I've got a friend who's a prosecutor. Seriously--the go-getter-never give up attitude you put into practice (pun intended) in order to get through Law School is over the top inspiring to me. I don't have aspirations in law--but I have aspirations in sticking to this, never giving up and demanding better for myself--because I know I'm capable, and I'm incredibly deserving of the best life has to experience...and in this, I relate--and find incredible strength and inspiration from your journey. You hear that rumble of thunder?? I think a storm is coming! Take care, my friend. Next time we meet up we'll pick a better place than the lobby of a Wendy's off the highway, deal?

      Delete
  5. try adding some sugar free almond or cashew butter when looking for some healthy calories. 2 tbs equals nearly 200 calories of healthy fats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where in the grocery store do you buy sugar free almond or cashew butter?

      Delete
    2. There's also organic or no sugar added sunflowerseed butter which is less triggering for me than nut butters example: www.sunbutter.com Tastes good on an apple :)

      @Nancy ask a store clerk or manager: every store is set up differently.

      Delete
    3. My track record with peanut butter scares me away from any kind of "butter" spread. I know some can do "all-natural-sugar free" peanut butter--where the only ingredient is peanuts--but the only way I've been able to in the past is if it's strictly portioned outside of my own home by someone else who owns the jar--because I'll not go into a friend's kitchen and "steal" extra spoonfuls!! :) It might be a good test to try, now that I'm sugar free--to see if I can indeed handle an all natural nut butter in a weighed/measured responsible way. I may try that--because you're right Gerri--it would be a very healthy way to get some dense calories quickly. Thank you for the suggestion!

      Delete
  6. Applaud your diving in and through your fear Sean! Will be waiting for your detail report!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nancy-- It's here isn't it... There's no turning back, I'm doing this. I just had to unleash my "pen" on this, didn't I? LOL This is important for me. Very important. I'm doing it. Can't wait to write tonight's blog post. Thank you Nancy for your encouragement!

      Delete
  7. I'm still in the 'trying to not get too much' phase of calorie management. Your phase sounds better. Best wishes for the swim today, I am with you in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LTR, you're progressing nicely through and toward the phase you're headed... It's coming, my friend--all in time... It's been an incredible transformation to go from where I was earlier this year to where I am today--but it couldn't have happened any quicker than it's happening each day, just one day at a time-- slow and steady, never give up. I'm worth it, LTR--and you are too.

      Delete
    2. And thank you for the best wishes! All of the encouragement has been fantastic--but I'll admit, I'm starting to feel nerves!!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.