Wednesday, September 10, 2014

September 10th, 2014 The Importance of Certainty

September 10th, 2014 The Importance of Certainty

A quick recap tonight, then bed. Quick recaps do not give me the same mental and emotional clarity as does thorough, exploratory writings, but the body needs sleep. And I must remember, this is a daily diary and there will be time for exploring another night. This is one day and this daily blog isn't going away, I'm committed!

I had a long work day today, taking me up until 8pm at the county fair. I did take the time in between breaks and greeting fair goers to reply to comments on last night's post. I was being efficient! It was a slow evening at the fair, so most of the time my alternative was watching the BMX stunt riders practice in front of our radio station's booth.

"Do you want fair food?" I was asked this question by our sales rep in charge of the fair account. I knew what this meant. Whatever I wanted, say the word--and I could have it for free. I've taken advantage of this in years past, especially prior to the start of my journey in 2008. Tonight, I firmly and easily declined. "Oh no, not a thing, I'll eat as soon as I leave here." Our on-staff news anchor/journalist who joins me every morning on my show, heard me say this and queried, "Is that hard for you to turn down the fair food?" "No, not at all. I'm looking forward to dining at Taco Mayo afterward." 

In a situation like this, I'm more concerned with certainty in my calorie budget than what I'll eat. Could I have selected something at the fair that possibly would have fit? Sure, but it would have required me playing a guessing game on the calories. Taco Mayo, even though it's fast food, gives me fresh ingredients (much higher quality than the big chain--you likely know the big chain I'm talking about!), and I can customize my order and feel really good about my choices. I ordered two crispy chicken tacos. These are not on the menu. The only chicken tacos on their menu are wrapped in flour tortillas. I order special and cut the calories, every time. Asking for the corn shells instead of flour saves up to 50 calories per taco. I declined the cheese on the white meat chicken tacos and allowed cheese on the bean tostado--a calorie budget maneuver. With the addition of sour cream and black olives, I knew the calories would be pushing 600, which is on the upper limits of any one particular meal for me. By the time I had it all entered in MyFitnessPal, I was correct--621 cal. Had I allowed cheese on the chicken tacos I would have easily exceeded 700 for the meal.

Dinner was delicious, satisfying, and certain. Had I picked the fair food, it would have surely been delicious, likely satisfying--but not at all certain. I could have saved a little money by accepting the free fair food, sure, but I will not put a price on the peace of mind certainty brings.

After dinner, I stopped by the store to pick up some new pots and pans for Courtney's new place. Courtney just moved into her first place that's all her own and she's so excited and proud! My house warming gift was the same for her as it was for Amber. Every time either of my daughters cook at home, they'll think of their dear old dad! 

After peeking into my grandson Noah's room and seeing that he was peacefully sleeping, I quietly turned around and exited on my tippy toes. I left Courtney's place and headed for the trail. It was too late for the YMCA. A good walk was an easy alternative considering this nice cool fall weather we're experiencing. It is downright amazing outside. I love fall!

My food Tweets from today:










Thank you for reading and sincerely, thank you for your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

6 comments:

  1. Your meals always look so delicious! I never would have thought to put tilapia on pizza, but that sounds pretty good. I'm doubly impressed with your turning down fair food, because I'm sure there were some taste-tempting options, and I'm sure the "free food" aspect is tempting, as well. But you make a good point about the value of certainty and peace of mind, and as you said yesterday, we establish our priorities in the choices that we make day to day. Great job, Sean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, thank you!! I truly crave the certainty more than I do the footlong corndogs and funnel cakes! ;)

      Delete
  2. You could have put the peach on a stick to give it a little fair flair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my way to by some sticks now! I'll be back at the fair tomorrow night--maybe I could sell "Peach On A Stick." LOL

      Delete
  3. Awww, so nice of you to have bought pots and pans for your daughters. My mom did the same thing for me when I got my first apartment. I always think of her whenever I burn a pot or a pan :D

    Glad you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki! That's very cool about your mom. I wonder how many other parents have decided on the same gift? Seemed like the best choice!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.