Friday, January 2, 2015

January 2nd, 2015 The 2014 Year In Review

January 2nd, 2015 The 2014 Year In Review

When I was initially losing weight, all the way down to 230, I had some wonderful milestones along the way. During the regain, many of those were taken back--lost to the weight piling back on. I started 2014 unable to breathe well at night. My sleep apnea was raging and with my weight gain, I didn't have a machine setting I needed. I didn't have any clothes that fit, so I basically wore the same thing day in and day out. My blood pressure was once again out of control, too. It was getting worse everyday and I was too exhausted to do anything about it.

My turnaround in 2014 started in January, some four months before I actually started seriously making forward progress. I decided the first thing I needed was another sleep lab. I needed it so I could get a CPAP machine with the proper setting for my now larger body. My hesitation to get another sleep lab before this was because I knew, as I lost weight--the machine wouldn't work the same on my changing body. It didn't matter. I had to have one as soon as possible.

Getting back into the proper mindset to make a turnaround wasn't easy for me, at all. It took a lot of prayers, a lot of therapy sessions and a good amount of counsel from Gerri Helms. The biggest question was, what worked before? The list was all things I stopped doing. Then, what elements of my previous success can I bring back? And most importantly--what elements can I add to strengthen my turnaround, giving me the best chance of success?

I committed to return to daily blogging. I set a calorie bank, this time a little higher than before. I committed to reach out for support when needed and offer more support. I committed to exercise regularly once again.

I added some key elements that have made a tremendous difference. I finally reached a point of acceptance with my addiction to sugar and how it was clearly affecting me. A large amount of the regain weight came during what's best described as very driven--completely compelled binge episodes. I honestly felt like I was out of control--like my choices were no longer my own--the addiction was in the drivers seat, and it just kept getting worse.

So I stopped eating sugar. Done. That was a big additional element to my plan. Another major element added was the commitment to Tweet photos of everything I eat with descriptions and calorie counts. I also committed to logging everything in MyFitnessPal. These three additional elements have made a monumental positive impact on me.

I feel like a man on a mission. I'm aiming for a healthy weight, better physical fitness and strength and I'm committed to maintaining the integrity of my plan and holding my continued recovery sacred, always, once I transition into maintenance mode. In other words, my 'weight loss mode' will look very similar to my upcoming 'maintenance mode.' I'm not there yet, but it's coming quick!

One of the biggest days for me in 2014 was May 15th. I call it "epiphany day." If you haven't had a chance to read May 15th's entry, I encourage you to please read it--and while you're there, please read May 19th, too. May 15th is the single most important day for me since I started this blog on September 15th, 2008 at 505 pounds.

I'm extremely grateful for so many blessings in the last year. Even the tough times--and heartache, all provided valuable things I needed to learn along this journey. And now, here we are. 2015!

What's next? More of the same! Plus I have some very concrete goals professionally, including finally finishing a 2nd book and a separate audio project of weight loss meditations. 2015 is poised to be the best year, ever. And I appreciate you coming along each day for the ride!

 photo photo45_zpsb7d7e5f0.jpg
Valentines Day Sleep Lab Selfie

 photo photo2_zpsa19fcb05.jpg
With my grandson, the cutest little guy in the world! This was at my heaviest regain point. 394 pounds.

 photo photo47_zpsc7b17603.jpg
With Kevin Ogle of News Channel 4-OKC at the Oklahoma Association of Broadcasters Awards in April. I accepted the award for best radio weather coverage for a specific storm, or "spot weather," as they call it. This photo was right before starting the turnaround. Heaviest regain point. Around 394 pounds.

 photo photo46_zps1cf1560f.jpg
Before the turnaround. I wore that same pullover nearly everyday. I washed it every two days. This and a pair of stretchy sweat pants was almost all I had left that fit me back at nearly 400 pounds.

 photo photo48_zps4ed71b61.jpg
Some point along the way. After-workout selfie.

 photo photo49_zpsb7a4224e.jpg
I like this photo because it's a determined look--straight ahead, focused--and that's exactly where it must be--straight ahead, not looking back in regret, shame or any other negative emotion. The blue shirt tells me this was somewhere around the 50-60 pounds down, point.

 photo photo50_zps3df20084.jpg
The makeup job was top notch! I became a zombie for the night on November 1st!

 photo photo51_zps2b4c3454.jpg
This isn't all of the weigh day photos--but a pretty good representation of this every three week event.

I rested well today. I took a sick day from work in order to fully recover from this sick bug I've had this week. I did struggle some with getting my water in today. But I'm okay with today. I rested most of it, in fact my first food of day wasn't until late afternoon!

As I write this, I'm feeling like myself again...this is really good! I plan on getting back into my regular exercise routine tomorrow with a great visit to the YMCA. I'm ready for a phenomenal 2015. Let's do this!

My Tweets Today:


















Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

21 comments:

  1. You have such an amazing story. I read from the start when I found your blog, right around the time you disappeared for a while. Since I've never lost a significant amount of weight, I've never had a major regain. I can hardly imagine how hard that must have been, on the way up and then putting it behind you. But you did it! You are am amazing inspiration, far more than if you had never struggled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie! Looking back--I'm thankful for the regain and relapse---because I needed some perspective. I need to learn more about me. Now, I'm better prepared and always open to learning more, everyday.

      Delete
  2. Amazing Sean! You bring us up and down and back up again but all with a purpose. While you still motivate yourself, you have taken on to motivate others... telling your story and bringing us in. Amazing!
    Glad your feeling better!
    have a good weekend.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, thank you! It's been a wonderful experience for me. The entire time, since 2008--it's been a learning process. I'm so happy to be feeling better!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like 2014 ended on a great note and I am sure you will rock 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alati! It did--and 2015 is going to be wonderful!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Sean. I think you've had an amazing 2014 and I am so grateful that you have shared it with us in your daily posts. I hope 2015 is good to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LTR, Thank you! I'm very grateful for this past year--it was an amazing experience!! Have a wonderful New Year!!

      Delete
  5. Awesome post - it sounds quite 70s/80s-ish, but I love your realness. You feel down, but got back up and in the process became an even bigger inspiration - particularly to me.

    btw - you have great hair!

    Happy New Year - I'm looking forward to your 2015 successes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LM, Thank you!! And thank you for the hair compliment! :) I'm so glad you're finding inspiration in this. It's very fulfilling to me to be able to help others simply by sharing. Happy New Year, LM! It's going to be a good one!

      Delete
  6. Glad you are on the mend - hopefully I won't be too far behind! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neca, I hope you're feeling better! I am feeling worlds better! Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the perspective. I went back and read your May posts and will probably do so again later today. I do love myself for the intangible bits, but it gets lost and I need to figure out a way to keep that love alive (Heart reference) and ever present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vail, Oh my--yes, it's easy to lose sight of it, quickly--especially during turbulent times when things don't go as we expected or wanted. But it's vitally important to not only remember--but exercise it regularly---keep it in shape... Because, I firmly believe--how we feel about ourselves determines most everything else.

      Delete
  8. Sean, one of the best parts of 2014 for me personally was discovering you. Your attitude....I just love. I am so in your corner. I can't wait to get to know you even better in 2015, and share in your journey even more. YAY YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen, my friend--thank you. I'm blessed to have you in my corner!! I'm in yours too! Happy New Year--this will be a wonderful year for both of us!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations Sean on all of your accomplishments and on your comeback. Like Natalie I have read all of your posts...as well as your book. Thank you for your realness and inspiration to so many. All the best to you and your family in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, Thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate your wonderful support. My best to you, too! 2015 can be one of the best yet!

      Delete
  10. Sean, I found you once again! Was shocked too hear of the weight gain but nobody is perfect......I'm going to use some of your methods of keeping accountable, mostly pics of food. I'm at 380ish as I type this, I'm looking at 1 pound a week, it will probably be more but we'll start there.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, welcome back! I wish you all the best as you embark on your goals. Setting up your accountability and support system is crucial. It's very smart of you to set the goal at 1 pound a week. You do your thing and let time do what it does. Before you know it, you'll look back and be amazed at how far you've come. I'm rooting for you all the way, Matt! So glad you found me here again!

      Delete
  11. Thank you, very much. We do--it's not always easy because we are so very human. Thank you, again. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.